Posted on Oct 16, 2017 to Public
Let's get right to the point. Fat loss and gaining muscle are two of the most sought after topics when it comes to fitness. With so much information out there and everyone claiming to be an expert, it is hard to figure out the proper formula for success. Here are five tips related to fat loss and muscle growth which I have used on all my clients and myself.
Five Rules For Muscle Growth
1. Never let yourself get hungry. You need a consistent flow of nutrients to your muscles all the time when building bulk. Have snacks around you all the time. Snacks like protein bars, nuts, and cheese. Stuff your face like a chipmunk.
2. Train heavy or increase the volume of force on your muscles. Your muscles grow from extra stress that comes from heavier weight or increased volume.
3. Get adequate rest in between your workouts and at night. Your muscles grow when you rest. Do not over train as this is counter productive to growth. If you have not fully recovered from your previous workout, take another day off. More is not always better.
4. Do not stop cardiovascular workouts completely. When people bulk up, they often neglect cardio. Just cut down on the volume and intensity of those types of workouts. Just do light walking instead of running. Doing light cardio will help with keeping your BMR up, which will help burn more calories efficiently.
5. The top 5 supplements to use when bulking are creatine hydrochloride (HCL), weight gainers, omega 3 fatty acids, vitamins(if needed), and whey or isolate protein powder.
Five Rules For Fat Loss
1. Never eat until your completely full. Eat until your 80% full. That means chew your food slowly.
2. Train in the am if you can. Your glycogen levels are lower in the morning, so you will burn more fat.
3. Stay hydrated all the time and never get thirsty. Your body functions the best when it is fully hydrated.
4. If you drink coffee and are using the caffeine for it’s fat burning abilities, do not add sugar or cream. This negates the fat burning effects of the caffeine.
5. Never eat fruit or carbohydrates after 5pm. Eat fruit and all carbs in the am. Eat more protein and vegetables in the pm. Your body burns carbs and sugars in the am and stores them in the pm.
Online training is now available.
All in good health,
Posted on Oct 6, 2017 to Public
I never understood why people fasted until I tried a one day cleanse myself. Other than being extremely hungry all the time, I felt great at the end of it. My body felt lighter and it definitely helped to get rid of some toxins.
Toxins build up in your system and this can make you sick. The best way to reduce the body’s load of toxins is to use a cleansing and healing program.
One way to cleanse your body of toxins is by fasting for a day or even a few days. Fasting lets the organs rest and helps to let the body heal faster. Here is an example of a one day fast I used.
Do this for a quick detox after Christmas or a holiday. Less toxins makes your system run more efficient.
1. When you wake up drink 1 cup of A Taste Of Lemon water.
2. At 10:00am, drink 1 cup of Apple Cranberry Madness.
3. When the clock hits 12:00pm, take 1 cup of Carrot-Aloe-Ginger Combo
4. At 2:00pm, drink 1 cup of Yummy Cucumber-Apple Juice
5. When the clock hits 4:30pm, have 2 cups of The Mighty Vegetable Broth 1.
If needed add protein powder, omega 3 and omega 6 fatty acids to each recipe.
A TASTE OF LEMON
2 quarts quality water
Juice of 3 lemons
1/2 teaspoon stevia or black strap molasses
Place the water in a pitcher. Mix all the ingredients into the water. Serve at room temperature.
APPLE CRANBERRY MADNESS
1 apple(whole apple except stem)
1/2 cup cranberries
Place the apple and cranberries into a juicer. Add water until it is at desired consistency. Drink right away.
3 large carrots
2 tablespoons fresh ginger
1/2 cup food-grade aloe vera juice
Put all ingredients into a juicer and mix it until it is pureed. Drink immediately.
YUMMY CUCUMBER-APPLE JUICE
1 green apple(everything except stem)
1 handful parsley
Aloe vera juice or water
Place all the ingredients into a juicer and process until pureed. Add aloe vera juice or water until desired consistency is achieved. Drink right away.
THE MIGHTY VEGETABLE BROTH 1
4 cups water
1/2 well-scrubbed potato(chopped)
1/2 cup grated beets
1/2 cup sliced carrots
1/2 cup chopped celery
1/2 cup sliced onion
2 cloves garlic(minced)
1 bay leaf
1 pinched dried thyme
1 pinch powdered cayenne pepper
1. Put all ingredients in a soup pot and bring to a boil.
2. Lower the heat to simmering temperature and allow the soup to simmer for one hour.
3. Let it cool down, then strain out the vegetables. Throw out the bay leaf.
If you have enjoyed this one day fast, feel free to purchase my newest book, It's All About Your Health: Food Recipes. Just follow the link.
All in good health,
Posted on Oct 2, 2017 to Public
You get home from working a ten hour shift. You have a shower, grab a quick bite to eat, and then get ready for bed. You hit the bed like a ton of bricks and it is lights out. You wake up feeling good but then your wife complains about your snoring.
Why is sleep so important? Rest, relaxation, and good sleep is crucial for good health. Sleep and rest serve to balance the activities of a full day and to replenish the nervous system. Human beings have created their own electricity and through the invention of the light bulb we are no longer going to bed and waking up with the sun. The muscles and the mind need rest in order to be at optimal health.
All trainers should know that true muscle growth comes from when you rest. When you weight train, the muscle is torn, so in order for the muscle to rebuild and become stronger, it needs to rest. When you sleep and rest, that is when true muscle growth happens.
If a person has an overactive mind, sleeping throughout the night can be a challenge. Using sleeping pills is never a good idea as this disrupts the body’s natural sleep cycle. Physical activity(there is a big surprise) and even taking a warm bath can help sleeplessness by improving circulation. Another alternative is to use deep-breathing techniques as this can relieve tension and encourages sleep.
I have an overactive mind so I use melatonin or enjoy a glass of red wine a few hours before bedtime. I do this only when needed as I try to follow my body’ s own natural sleep pattern. If I do take caffeine, it is taken before 7 am in the morning. Caffeine has a half-life of 6 hours. So if you take 200mg at 10am, it will not leave your system until 10pm at night.
Try to aim for at least 49-55 hours of sleep each week. Some people can function on 5-6 hours a sleep a night, but 7-8 hours is the optimal number.
Here are a few tips for a good night’s sleep.
1. Avoid napping throughout the day. If you do have a nap, do not go into deep REM. This will throw off your body’s natural clock.
2. Avoid alcohol, caffeine, spicy, heavy, and sugary foods four to six hours before bedtime.
3. Keep your bedroom dark. Use heavy drapes or blinds as light can disrupt your body’s internal clock.
4. Keep up a regular exercise schedule. Avoid exercise several hours before bedtime.
All in good health,